Astonishing tirade from Sergio Garcia against fellow players after being banned from Scottish Open

Sergio Garcia - GETTY IMAGES

Sergio Garcia – GETTY IMAGES

Sergio Garcia’s graduation as pariah-in-chief on the DP World Tour has been completed after an astonishing outburst in the locker room after being fined and banned from the Scottish Open for appearing on the Saudi rebel circuit.

Garcia, 42, is one of 16 pros threatening to sue his home circuit after being given a £100,000 penalty and a suspension from next week’s $8 million event at the Renaissance Club near North Berwick.

While the penalty for violating Tour rules didn’t last long with ending his Ryder Cup career — until now, at least — Garcia reacted furiously and vitriously, according to multiple sources.

“The news [of the ban] came out during last week’s BMW International [in Munich]’, a lead actor, who wished to remain anonymous, told Telegraph Sport. Sergio flew off the handle and yelled ‘this Tour sucks, you’re all fucked, should have taken the Saudi money’. Bob MacIntyre was there and was disgusted.”

MacIntyre and his management company declined to comment when approached by Telegraph Sport – as did Garcia’s representative – but later in that tournament, the Scottish golfer tweeted. “It’s amazing how quickly you can lose respect for someone you’ve looked up to all your life,” MacIntyre, 25, wrote.

The ugly incident was the talk of the town at the Irish Open, which ends Sunday at Mount Juliet in Co Kilkenny. Even before the “Sour 16,” as they are now being labeled, there was already enough discontent in their letter to Wentworth headquarters, issuing an ultimatum for the sanctions to be lifted, a demand the DP World Tour has steadfastly refused to comply with. bodies.

Sergio’s reputation had taken quite a beating at least before that, but this has sealed it for many of us,” said the player. “The rant in America last month was one thing, but this is his home tour, where he started and he must not forget that. Fair enough, he took the money. But he doesn’t have to rub the noses of other players.”

In May, during the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship in Maryland, Garcia yelled at a PGA Tour umpire who gave him a time penalty when he was looking for his ball. “That’s absolutely bulls**t,” Garcia roared. I can’t wait to get off this tour. I can’t wait to get out of here. A few more weeks and I don’t need to see you again.”

Four weeks later and Garcia was true to his word, canceling his PGA Tour membership for the first LIV Golf Series event in Hertfordshire ahead of the US circuit issuing indefinite bans saying, “I want not enter into a legal battle with anyone”.

When asked why he didn’t also quit the DP World Tour – formerly the European Tour, Garcia replied: “First of all, I am European, I love the European Tour. I would definitely like to keep my membership there, at least play my minimum, and get the best chance of making The Ryder Cup Team because I love that event.”

It is clear that Garcia, the all-time Ryder Cup goalscorer, had lobbied the Tour last week in a bid to escape further sanctions.

“He has emphasized how much he has supported the Tour in recent years, but when was the last time he showed up at a regular event without being paid by a promoter or sponsor,” said a Tour insider.

“He has not played in the flagship event in Wentworth [the BMW PGA Championship] in eight years and since 2017, fewer Rolex Series events have actually appeared than [American] Patrick Reed. And now he’s trying to pretend he’s been Mr. Europe. Let’s just say there’s no plethora of sympathy for his argument.”

Garcia, who has received an eight-figure submission from LIV, is slated to tee off Saturday in the final round of the second $25 million event in Portland, Oregon. At two-over, he is out of the fray, 10th behind joint leaders Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *